At Grin we’re proud to be New Zealand made and eco-conscious. Our products are made from 100% natural ingredients that have been sourced locally where possible from sustainable producers. Grin’s tube material is made of Aluminium Barrier Laminate (ABL) and is produced by a packaging supplier that is certified in eco-friendly production.
We’ve rounded up 25 simple things that we can all do at home to be a little eco-friendlier.
- Shop for eco-friendly products like Grin toothpaste! We also love Ecostore products, if you’re in Auckland you can take in your empty Ecostore bottles to be refilled.
- Take a reusable coffee mug to the local café to save on disposable takeaway cups – we love Keep Cup
- Recycle your cardboard, paper and glass. Plastic with numbers 1 and 2 can also be recycled in New Zealand. Check out your local Council website for more information on what you can recycle.
- Use a water catcher to collect rain water that you can use to water your garden – here’s how to make one: DIY rain catcher
- Take shorter showers – aim for under 5 minutes
- Ensure drafts around windows and doors are sealed
- Swap plastic bags for reusable bags – keep an eye out for Grin reusable bags coming soon!
- Turn off lights when not in use
- Add a compost or worm farm to your garden to dispose of kitchen scraps and lawn clippings
- While brushing your teeth with Grin turn the tap off rather than leave it running
- Use timers on appliances such as heaters and heated towel rails
- Swap plastic water bottles for reusable water bottles – we love the original Fressko Flask
- Stop junk mail
- Use both sides of paper – print double sided or use the back of scrap paper for notes or kids art
- Insulate your water heater
- Eat local, organic foods. We love Commonsense Organics, Huckleberry and IE Produce
- Swap plastic for a biodegradable bamboo. Think disposable plates and cutlery and even your toothbrush! Our Grin charcoal-infused bamboo toothbrush is available here.
- Plant trees and flowers – essential for reducing carbon dioxide and for the bees who produce the Propolis in our Grin Cool Mint toothpaste
- Choose New Zealand made products where possible. The less travel miles the better!
- Donate unwanted items to charity shops – one person’s rubbish is another’s treasure
- Look for energy efficient appliances
- Change your regular light bulbs to energy efficient bulbs
- Shop for products with biodegradable packaging
- Shut down computers and turn off TV’s when not in use
- Walk, ride a bike or catch public transport to work. You can also carpool which is perfect for making use of the T2 and T3 lanes!
There are many more ways you can care for the environment in your everyday life.